Saturday, May 24, 2008

Quilt-A-Long - Week 1

A couple of months ago, I came across amandajean's blog. For a while I just enjoyed reading, and looking at ALL the quilts she turns out. Then she mentioned a quilt-a-long, and I debated. For 45 seconds. And then I signed up.
See, I've made all of....3 quilts. Baby quilts. I know near nothing about quilting. So what do I do? I sign up to make a full sized quilt. I'm full of great ideas like that.
BUT...I figured it would be a good way to just jump in and learn, and there is some degree of accountability in doing it as a group...even if its a virtual group.

So stay tuned, as I stumble along, and try to keep up.
First, we started with week 1's block, allow me to show you -

ok, followed directions, cut pieces, lay out like so. hey! not a bad start!


sew center, sew 'points', ok, still good!



...sew rows together



...and join those to make the square. wooo! look at me! celebratory dance goes here.



all that's left, just trim that sucker to 12.5". alright, line up the ruler and...


wait...


CRAP!



too small. hard to trim to 12.5" when you're barely past 11.5" huh? mhmm...



No idea how I managed that, but...decided to do another, since some of my "points" got lost anyway. So, more fabric, try again -

hey now! not too shabby! Still came out too small (I think its just about 12") but enough that I can just adjust for it later. and my points are nice and pointy! second celebratory dance goes here.

It might be a long 15 weeks.

No comments: